Visa Guidance

The information on this page is for guidance only. If you are unsure about your visa status, or for the most up-to-date information, please contact your local embassy or visit

Do you need a visa to study in the UK?

If you are a ‘Non-Visa National’ (such as all EU/EEA countries, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan) you can enter the UK with a ‘Visitor Visa’. This is issued on arrival and you can stay and study for up to 6 months.  At arrival, you can enter through the e-gates and do not need to speak to immigration staff. There will be no stamp in your passport. If you want to study for more than 6 months you will need to apply for either a Short-term Study Visa or a Student Visa before you travel – see details below.

If you are a ‘Visa National’ (such as from China, Russia, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine) you always need to apply for a visa before you travel. If your course is less than 6 months you can enter and study with a ‘Visitor Visa’. If you want to study for more than 6 months you can apply for a ‘Short– Term Study visa’ (up to 11 months).
See a full list of countries here.

Visa Types

1. Visitor Visa

A Visitor Visa allows you to:

• Study on a short course (including English language courses) for up to 6 months at an accredited
• Stay in the UK for up to 6 months.

This is the most suitable visa for many of our students.
For under 18-year-olds this is known as a Child Visitor Visa.

2. Short-Term Study Visa

Frances King School of English is accredited by Accreditation UK which means we can support an application for a Short-term Study Visa.

A Short-Term Study visa allows those over 16 years old to:
• Study on an English language course for up to 11 months at an accredited school.
• Stay in the UK for the length of the course plus 30 days.

You can apply for a short-term study visa up to 3 months before your date of travel and should get a decision within 3 weeks of application.

Check the visa processing times for more information.

To apply for this visa, you must provide proof:
• of acceptance onto a course
• that you have enough money for your stay
• that you have money for your return journey

If you are under 18 years old, you also need to show:
• you have booked your travel and accommodation
• you have permission from your parent or guardian

You can find details about eligibility for this visa and the documents you need to provide here.
To apply online for this visa, visit the UK Government website.

3. Student Visa (Tier 4)

Frances King does not support application for this visa type.

4. Other Visas

It is also possible to study on some other visa types, for example:

• Tier 1 – Investor / Entrepreneur visa
• Tier 2 – General work visa
• Tier 5 – Youth mobility visa
• Diplomatic visa
• Some Dependent visas


How do I apply for a visa?

You can check whether you need a visa on the website.

You can find out how to apply for a UK visa on the UK government website at